e-Sword is one of the best and free bible study applications currently available. There are numerous modules available both free and premium. This is an attempt to highlight some of the best resources available.
Free Official Modules
- American Standard Version (ASV) – This is the Revised Standard Version with some changes by American biblical scholars.
- Brenton’s English Septuagint – A classic English translation of the Greek Septuagint (LXX) which is in itself a translation of the Hebrew Old Testament.
- English Standard Version (ESV) – A contemporary and popular bible translation, similar to the ASV/RSV in many ways.
- King James Version (KJV) – The 1769 edition of the best-known and most popular of early bible translations into English.
- Lexham English Bible (LEB) – A contemporary translation from the original texts created by Logos Bible Sofware. It is similar to the ESV.
- Adam Clarke’s Commentary on the Bible (1810-1826).
- Albert Barnes’ Notes on the Bible (1847-1885).
- Alexander MacLaren’s Expositions of Holy Scripture (1904-1910).
- Expositor’s Bible Commentary (1887-1896).
- John Gill’s Exposition of the Entire Bible (1748-1763, 1809).
- Keil & Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament (1866-1891).
- Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible (1704-1714) – Focuses heavily on practical application of the Scriptures.
- A.T. Robinson’s Word Pictures in the New Testament (1930-1933) – Expounds on the meaning of the underlying Greek words in many NT texts.
- M.R. Vincent’s Word Studies in the New Testament (1888) – Expounds on the meaning of the underlying Greek words in many NT texts.
- Brown-Driver-Briggs’ Hebrew Definitions (1906) – A concordance of the Hebrew Old Testament.
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915, 1939) – An extensive encyclopedia of all things biblical.
- Strong’s Bible Dictionary (1890) – A concordance for both the Old and New Testaments.
- Thayer’s Greek Definitions (1886, 1889) – A concordance of the Greek New Testament.
- Webster’s Dictionary of American English (1828) – A detailed dictionary of the English language.
Free Unofficial Modules
- Hebrew Study Bible – Author: Raymond Barone – An Interlinear Hebrew Old Testament keyed to Strong’s numbers and offering transliterations of Hebrew words.
- LXX+ – Septuagint Greek Old Testament with Strong’s numbers and parsing information.
- Stephanus Textus Receptus – Author: Raymond Barone – Includes accents, interlinear, parsing info., and keyed to Strong’s numbers.
- BHS+ – The Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia with Strong’s numbers.
- John Peter Lange’s Commentary on the Holy Scriptures: Critical, Doctrinal, and Homiletical (25 volumes, 19th century).